Saturday, December 31, 2011

Adapting recipes to what you have on hand

We are not big meat eaters in our family (in case you haven't noticed, based on our recipes).  I wouldn't really say that we are vegetarians, we're just not fans of meat.  I've seen too many documentaries.  I prefer to splurge on more expensive meat, but don't usually have that luxury...so it's a good thing that my kids are big fans.  But every now and then, one of my kids will surprise me and request something with meat in it.  Lately, with my son, it's been meatballs.  I didn't have a recipe for meatballs, so I look on allrecipies.com and found this one.  It's called meatball nirvana. 
The recipe seemed simple enough and I was able to find some suitable meat on sale as a manager's special. I, um, paid a lot ($3.50), but that was all that I purchased for this night's dinner. So I decided that it was worth it (my modifications are in bold).  I like to think of recipe's as more of a guide.  They turned out really good and my son went back and ate all of the leftovers later that evening.  We, of course, served them with spaghetti.  If you go to the barilla pasta facebook page, they will give you a coupon for $1.00 off of 2 boxes of their whole grain pasta.  It was on sale a few weeks back for just a dollar, so I bought a few boxes for 50 cents each.  It's good.  My kids can't tell the difference. 

1 pound extra lean ground beef


  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt  (didn't have seal salt, just used regular salt)
  • 1 small onion, diced  (I didn't have an onion, so I didn't use one)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (didn't have garlic salt, so I used garlic powder)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (Didn't think my kids would red pepper, so I left it out)
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®), or to taste  (didn't have it.  Left if out)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce  (I didn't have this, but I did have some honey barbecue sauce that I bought on sale with a coupon that I figured was a good enough substitution)
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

  • Directions

    1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2. Place the beef into a mixing bowl, and season with salt, onion, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, oregano, red pepper flakes, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Add the milk, Parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs. (I was in a hurry and just mixed everything together.  They turned out fine).  Mix until evenly blended, then form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs, and place onto a baking sheet.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, 20 to 25 minutes.               


    1 comment: