Tuesday, December 20, 2011

pumpkin pancakes

This will be the first of 3 posts about pancakes.  Pancakes are easy.  Pancakes are cheap.  Lately, we've really been loving pumpkin pancakes because they have so much flavor AND are made with a vegetable.  So we feel like we're putting a slightly higher nutrition on our kids' plates.  We usually pair them with eggs for protein and a glass of milk for dairy.  Canned pumpkin usually lasts for a year or so, so we stock up on it when it's on sale. Recently we found our store brand pumpkin on sale for $.79.  Not a GREAT deal, but good enough.  We bought maybe 5 cans in hopes that we'll be able to find it even cheaper later on.  Here is the recipe that we use.  I found it on allrecipies.com and was submitted by Ruth.  Thank you Ruth. 

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. In a bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.               

I don't always use the exact spices that she calls for.  It seems like last time I made them, I didn't have any ginger, so I substituted nutmeg.  I think I may sometimes just use pumpkin pie spice, too.  Just whatever I have on hand.  There have also been times when I haven't had brown sugar, so I just mix up a little molasses with 2 Tablespoons of sugar to make my own.  We also don't put maple syrup on them.  We usually sprinkle some powdered sugar on top or just eat them plain.  They are very filling and always put a smile on our face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment