Thursday, December 22, 2011

Swedish pancakes

This is one of my kids' favorite dinners.  My dad used to make these for us for breakfast all the time and they put a smile on my face every time. We called them "daddy's pancakes."  He always made them from memory and he's never written down the recipe.  So when I found this recipe for Swedish pancakes in my "where's mom now that I need her?"  cookbook, I was hooked.  These are kind of like crepes, but you can put whatever you want to on them.  We put butter on them and then sprinkle the butter with cinnamon sugar and roll them up.  They are also delicious with jam or peanut butter (it gets all melty and gooey and I LOVE them).  We usually have to triple the recipe:

3 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
3/4 C. sifted flour
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Combine ingredients, beat with wire whip or mixer on medium speed until thoroughly mixed.  Cook as thin pancakes on a medium heat setting.  Brown on both sides, roll or fold in quarters and serve with favorite topping (again, we put the topping on before we roll it).   We often  have a couple of skillets going at the same time to make cooking them go a little faster. 

1 comment:

  1. These are the best, although my recipe is a bit different. We use less milk, add some vanilla, and omit the sugar. We love them with yogurt and fruit, or powdered sugar with drops of lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete