Friday, December 2, 2011

Shopping as a poor person

Contrary to what many people may believe, shopping at the huge shopping centers really doesn't save that much money. Take Sam's club, for instance.   For me, it is about 40 minutes away, so when I used to go, I felt like I had to buy a whole lot to justify the gas expense.  So I would go and then come home with $300 worth of granola bars and paper plates (which I wouldn't normally buy, but did because they were a "good deal").  Then I would get home and realize that I didn't have anything that I could prepare for dinner.  It just didn't work for me. 
   
I find that the best place for me to shop are the small grocery stores.  I spend the least amount of money there.  I prefer to shop at Kroger, simply because it is the closest one to me.   The key is to shop ONLY what is on sale.  Because the items that are not on sale are typically more expensive than, say, Walmart, I don't buy them.  For me, it REALLY cuts down on impulse buys and I end up with only what is on my list (carefully prepared after viewing that week's circular).  Last week I spent $69 for two weeks worth of groceries.  There were a couple of things that were not on my list, but I picked them up anyway because they were on sale (3 pk. organic Romaine Lettuce for $1.50).

I have also been able to find name brand diapers there on sale for at least 1/2 off.  I've gotten diapers for as little as $2.50.  When they are that cheap, I buy a lot.  Also, Kroger offers a discount on gasoline for every $100 spent.  Right now, they are offering double points (Typically $1 per point, the discount is now $0.50 per point).  This is one of the few discounts available on gasoline aside from using a gas station credit card.  My husband and I only fill our vehicles up once every two weeks.  We always take both cars to fill up on the same ticket (We fill up one vehicle, and then my son holds the gas pump while we pull the other one up to fill that one).  On our last visit, we saved $12 on fuel.  Kroger is also offering 4x fuel points on gift card purchases until December 11th.  It's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment