Thursday, December 8, 2011

saving money on not so cheap dinners

We have a meal that we particularly like.  But it's not quite as cheap as we would prefer.  It calls for mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, spinach and pasta shells.  And several other things.  Because this is a meal that we all enjoy (even my kids), I plan for it and stock up on the nonperishable items when they are on sale.  Bags of frozen spinach often go on sale for a dollar at my grocery store and I can usually find coupons to accompany that sale.  So I buy several bags at once.  When the pasta shells go on sale, I buy several boxes.  That way, when the perishable items (cottage cheese) go on sale, I just have to buy that and I already have everything on hand that I need to prepare this dinner.  It's really good.  I'll post the recipe tomorrow!  These simple things cut the price of the meal in half. 

SOOO....I recommend that you make a list of the dinners that your family enjoys and the ingredients required.  When the non perishable items go on sale...STOCK UP!  When the perishable items go on sale, you are ready to make your meal!  So simple.

1 comment:

  1. I've been doing this too (for the last year)! My ultimate goal is to have 30 recipes that are our "go to" options (I'm up to 20) and I list out all the ingredients by food storage options and perishables so I have a better idea for what should actually be in my food storage. It's been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete