Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lazy wife's lasagna

When we were first married, I decided to do something "gourmet" and make lasagna.  It turned out fine, but it took FOREVER!!!  I'm not even a big fan of tomato sauce, so I really hated that I spent so much time making something that wasn't fantastic.  I was sure pleased, then, when I found this super easy version (that is actually called spaghetti pie).  It's not really lasagna, but you still get the "noodles" and the mozzarella cheese and the tomato sauce and it's actually really good.  We used to make this recipe a lot, but haven't in the last 3-4 years.  We made it tonight, and weren't quite sure how our kids would react.  Thankfully, my picky 7 year old had 3 helpings and asked if we could have it again tomorrow.  Again, this recipe was really cheap for us because we already had most of the ingredients on hand.  I used classico pasta sauce because it was on sale for $1.79 at Kroger this week (still is, actually) and the classico website has a coupon for a dollar off.  I also came across some cottage cheese that was deeply discounted as a manager's special, but the expiration date wasn't for a few more weeks.  Those were the only two things that I had to purchase to make this.  Super cheap.  The recipe calls for the entire bottle of pasta sauce, but we don't put that much on because we're not big fans of tomatoes (except for my husband....I just make sure to load up the pasta sauce on his side of the dish). 

2-3 cups hot, cooked, drained spaghetti
2 Tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 well-beaten eggs
ready-to-eat spaghetti sauce
1 cup each: cottage cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese

Mix hot spaghetti, margarine, Parmesan cheese and eggs  Pour into buttered 9x13 inch pan.  Top with cottage cheese.  Fill pan with sauce (or not, if you're like me).  Sprinkle with mozzarella.  Bake 20 minutes, 350 degrees.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

It would also be really easy to add some ground beef to this if you'd like to add some meat to the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jennie, please add photos with your recipes. I want to pin them on my pinterest so I can come back when it's time to cook.

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete