Saturday, September 8, 2012

Potato and tuna casserole

Okay, I know this sounds disgusting.  And to be honest with you...it looked horrible when I made it and I was SURE my kids would not eat it.  But, boy was I wrong.  They devoured it and asked if we could have it all the time.  I will be up front and tell you I had to make some adjustments.  It was pretty bland for me!  So this is the recipe with adjustments added:

3 T. butter or margarine
3 T. minced garlic (I used the kind in a spice bottle.  You could also use minced onion)
1/2 t. salt
dash pepper
3 T. flour
2 C. milk
1 6 1/2 oz. can tuna, drained and flaked
4 large potatoes, thinly sliced (sometimes we add a few more if we're feeling hungry)
1 cup shredded cheese

Saute onion in butter until tender.  Stir in salt, peper, and flour; whip in milk to make a sauce.  Continue cooking, stirring constantly until thickened.  And then stir some more just to make sure it's super thick.  Add tuna and heat through.  Layer potatoes in an 8x8 square pan; pour the tuna mixture over the potatoes.  Bake, covered, at 350 for 1 hour.  Uncover, sprinkle cheese on top, and bake 30 additional minutes or until potatoes are tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment