Friday, April 6, 2012

Strawberry smoothie!

Do you have a whole bunch of buttermilk in your refrigerator like I do?  Up until recently, I've not really known what to do with it.  Then I had the brilliant idea of using buttermilk instead of regular milk in the smoothies that I craved while pregnant.  It worked perfectly and added a different taste with a creamier texture and a bunch of added protein.  This is what I do:

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup frozen fruit (I usually use strawberries.  They were on sale at Kroger for $1.50 last week, so I bought a bunch and flash froze them.  That just means that I lined them up on a cookie sheet and froze them before putting them into a ziploc freezer bag.  The same amount of store-bought frozen strawberries runs about $3).
2 T. sweetener (honey, maple syrup, or even just sugar works).

Blend it all together and voila!  A yummy treat for a pregnant lady.  Or any lady who has a major sweet tooth and is looking for a healthier way to satisfy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment